The following requirements for installation apply regardless of whether engineered openings or non-engineered openings are used to satisfy the NFIP requirements. You’ll find the technical information in the FAQs, but simply put, FEMA/NFIP requirements for flood vents include:
- A minimum of one square inch of net open area for each square foot of enclosed area for non-engineered openings OR A minimum of ONE engineered inch for each square foot of enclosed area for an engineered opening.
- A minimum of two vents per enclosed area, and each must be on at least two different sides of the exterior walls.
- The bottom of the flood vent opening must not be higher than 12 inches above the adjacent grade.
- The opening in the wall must be at least 3” in diameter. This requirement refers to the hole in the wall and not the flood vent. See FEMA TECHNICAL BULLETIN 1-2008 page 21 AND 26.
Flood Vent Installation Instructions
- FS Model: FS-1608 / FS-1616
- FS Model: FS-1412 (For framed openings with studs 16” on center)
- FS-HEX Model: FS-1608-HEX